As today is a rainy dull day I decided that I was going to attempt to make some shortbread, I have never made it before so this is a first, I seen Martha (From Great British Bake Off) making them on Tastemade on Snapchat the other day and thought hmmm they look easy to do I’ll give it a go!
I made mine a bit different I didn’t want to add honeycomb and chocolate on the edges of the shortbread instead I just added it all into my batter.
225g plain flour
75g caster sugar
100g caster sugar
2 tablespoon golden syrup
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
150g dark chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. To make the Honeycomb, stir the caster sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan over a high/medium heat until the mixture it melted into a deep amber colour then remove the pan from the heat and quickly mix the bicarbonate of soda then pour the bubbling sugar into the lined baking tray and leave it to the side to harden up.
3. To make the Shortbread, Add the flour, caster sugar and butter into a blender/food processor and mix it all up until the mixture clumps together, Once the mixture is combined pour it out onto a large sheet of clingfilm.
4. Place the hard honeycomb into the food processor and pulse until it’s chopped into small pieces, Add half the honeycomb to your shortbread mixture and knead it in, (this is where I added in a tiny bit of chocolate so it melts nicely in the dough (not pictured, doh)) then roll into a log and place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
5. Slice the Shortbread mixture into as many round pieces you like and bake them in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.
And ta-da you should have some yummy honeycomb chocolate shortbread to munch on with a cup of tea! Deeeeeeelish